- For ICC, always do signups in advance. Generally the more intelligent and watchful folks browse the realm forums (generally) and will sign up for your run. A forum post also allows you to lay out your rules and requirements so you don't have to repeat yourself over and over. A forum post also has a sense of legitimacy that advertising a gold ICC in /2 does not.
- For ToC, always always always pug through Trade. At this point most high end raiders don't even have alts that need ToC, so I've found that pugging brings in sometimes up to 1k more from this raid.
- Make lots of macros. I have a Vent macro, 2 rules macros for ToC, 2 rules macros for ICC, and various informational macros for questions from people. It saves me insane amounts of time typing the same things over and over.
- Always post your rules in raid chat. This is a security for your attendees. GMs have been known to distribute gold/loot when a master looter disobeys her chat-stated rules. They can look at the logs to determine this - so for everyone's safety, type rules out instead of voicing them over Vent.
- Attach your name to your run. Ex: "Jigglybutts' ICC25 GDKP!" When people see this week after week they know that people trust you with handling money consistently and fairly.
- If you're going to skim, let it be known. Taking gold off the top in secret is underhanded and unfair. I reserve all Primordial Saronite drops and take my fair split from my runs, but I have never reserved any other pieces, nor have I taken any on a whim. Another fellow on my server reserves the first two BoEs - but I find it more fun and profitable for everybody if all gear is bid upon. The point here, however, is honesty. No one will trust you with their money if you are caught stealing (and believe me, you will).
- Gold Raid Manager is a popular addon for tracking bids, the pot and the split... ...but I found it obnoxious and confusing. I do all my bidding by hand and keep my own records of winning bids and totals. Several other attendees do as well, to keep their own tally (see point directly above). Try the addon; if you don't like it, know that it's okay to do things your own way.
- Do bids while clearing trash. Master Loot all items to yourself and trade to the winner. This can build trust as people receive items from you, and as they trade gold for the actual item instead of trading and waiting you to ML to their character. WARNING: Do NOT do this with quest items such as Festergut's Acidic Blood or Rotface's Acidic Blood, or with the item Precious's Ribbon. These items will become permanently bound if you do so. (Thanks Azzur for pointing this out.)
- Bonus Tip: Turn loot to Uncommon before fighting Precious, so you can Master Loot the shirt if it drops! (Credit again to Azzur.)
Tuesday, July 6, 2010
How I GDKP
I've been running gold runs on my server since December of 2009. During this time I've streamlined my process and gained valuable experience as a raid organizer and leader. Here are some of the things I do to make my runs go smoothly:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Nice post. I'm thinking of trying to lead some GDKPs as well, and maybe even trying to implement them in Cata.
I've got some additional tips:
- Set loot to Uncommon (Green) when killing Precious. His Ribbon can net the pot quite a bit of money!
- Don't loot all items to yourself (e.g. Precious's Ribbon, Rotface and Fester's Bloods). This is because you can't trade those items. They need to be ML to the winning buyer.
I'm interested to see how Cata will shake out with the new pug styles. Personally I enjoy 25 mans and I believe they will continue to be popular, in which case I'll be right back in there leading GDKPs again.
Thanks for pointing out the Master Loot differences! I completely forgot while writing this, I will edit those in.
Post a Comment